Squats are a fast and easy workout that gives a complete body workout and not to mention shapes that booty!
Exercise is an important part of everyone’s life. It has numerous benefits including; reduces risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and let’s not forget, increases our self-confidence when we’re looking fit and healthy! But man is it hard to get motivated sometimes right?! Exercise takes time, you have to put on your active wear, get your music going, and drive to the gym. All in all, a ‘quick’ 20 minute workout has now turned into an hour or more! This is exactly why I love squats! It’s a fast, convenient and low maintenance workout that you can literally do anywhere. Watching your favorite TV show? Stand up and do a set of squats! Folding laundry? Do some squats! Are you in your office at work? Stand up and do some squats!
Here are 5 reasons why squats are a great workout!
- Squats are great for digestion – The muscular movement of a squat helps encourage regular bowel movements. This helps bloating and rids your body of unwanted toxins.
- Increases circulation – Good circulation is essential for the health of your whole body. Circulation improves your overall immune system, which helps fight against sickness and disease. It also helps your heart to stay strong and healthy!
- Complete body workout – Squats not only work your back-side, but the whole body as well. It strengthens muscles in your legs, thighs, calves, knees, and even your core! If you are using a bar bell to increase the resistance then you are also strengthening your arms, shoulders, chest and back muscles.
- Can be done anywhere – Squats do not need any fancy or expensive gym equipment. You can do them anywhere, in your living room, before you jump in the shower, on the beach, at a park, in your office at work, literally anywhere!
- Squats can shape your booty! – If you already have a nice round booty, great! I’m jealous! But for those of us who don’t and want one, squats are the answer to our prayers. Squats help lift, firm and shape! If that’s not reason enough, I don’t know what is!
Get started today!
To get the full benefits of squats:
- Start by standing tall and straight, with your feet slightly wider than your hips and your toes slightly pointed outward (about 5 – 20 degrees outward).
- Choose a spot on the wall in front of you and keep that spot. You will be keeping your eyes on that exact spot throughout the entire squat.
- For balance, you can put your arms straight out in front of you (parallel to the floor). Your back should not be curved nor extremely straight, keep the natural curve of your back.
- Your weight should be resting more on your heels, in other words you should be able to wiggle your toes.
- Now lower your body and make sure you are pushing your booty back, while keeping your chest and shoulders up.
- The most important part is your knee placement, make sure your knees do not extend past your toes, if they do then you need to push your booty back more!
- Go as low as you can, taking deep breathes, push your body back to a standing position, really feeling the weight and pressure in your heels and your booty.
CONGRATULATIONS! You’ve just done a squat. Now continue with 3 sets of 10 – 15. Each day you can increase it and by no time you’ll be wanting to add weight and bam! You’ll have a booty!
For a video tutorial on how to properly perform a squat click this link.